Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Helping students is our job

Three weeks ago a former student called and said a friend of hers from out of state was having trouble filling out her FAFSA to apply for financial aid to attend college. The FAFSA is a form the federal government uses to determine what the family can afford to contribute toward a student’s college education. Based on the FAFSA results, some students will receive Pell grants (money that does not have to be repaid), some will receive loans (that must be repaid) and some will receive no financial aid.

This particular student in need was having difficulty because she was raised by her aunt and did not know what to answer for parent income questions. She went to the local community college financial aid office and left frustrated because they did not appear interested in helping her. So the former student called me thinking that I must be very knowledgeable about filling out these forms since I am a Doctor. She was wrong. I didn’t know the answer, but I did know where she could go to get the help she needed.

I happened to be in Lincoln on Good Friday to attend the Nebraska Coaches Clinic and watch the Huskers practice. During the one hour lunch break I walked the six blocks to the EducationQuest Office on O Street and talked to a financial aid person about the FAFSA questions that I was presented with. I was told to have the student come into their office and they will assist her in completing her FAFSA.

Last week I received a call saying that the FAFSA was done and this student that I barely knew was really appreciative that I took the time to help her.

I tell this story not for personal glory or accolades, but to have this serve as an example of how I believe all professional educators should respond to a student in need. My example is unusual because the student did not attend our school. But our students, including former students, should expect that their teachers will take the time to help them. And I hope that students feel like they can come to our teachers when they have a problem.

It might only take a little walk over lunch.