Friday, October 29, 2010

Letter from Emerson-Hubbard Parent

It is always nice to have the kids be complimented on their behavior on the field or the court. I have permission to share this with the players, and I hope it is okay to share with the parents and community as well.

Dr. Cerny,
The following is a note I felt necessary to pass along, at least to you. Feel free to share it with your team as they deserve it.

Panthers-
My name is Mike Renning and I am from Emerson. Last night, you ended our season and for your play on the field you should be congratulated. As great as you guys play, your actions on the field overshadowed your play in my opinion. With the game well in hand literally in the first quarter, I didn't see any showboating or gloating from any of you. I also did not witness any disrespect even though you were obviously better than us. A part of my job is to cover high school sports in and around Dakota County and I have witnessed some pretty bad sportsmanship both from the teams I cover and their opponents. I have been to your two games with Emerson-Hubbard this season and although you could have "rubbed our noses" in it both times, you took the high road. You would knock us down and help us back up. Too often we, as parents and fans, judge teams by strictly wins and losses, well, apparently you are a great group of kids as you are winners in your play and winners in your actions. I wish you the very best of luck on your playoff journey. I would also like to give a personal shoutout to Matt Stansberry. I got to know Matt when he played for the Jr. Pirates. He was a great kid then and he still is. If you see someone standing on the sidelines in a purple coat during your playoff run, that will be me. I hope you go the distance, you deserve it.

Mike Renning
Dakota County Star