Monday, November 22, 2010

NSAA says "You won't have that officiating crew again."

Last Thursday I talked with the head of football officials at the NSAA. I described my perception of the officiating of the West Point CC football game. After reviewing the game film, they missed some very crucial calls at the end of the game. I described the Dave Davis crew from Omaha as "clowns, showboating and trying to be part of the show" and "incompetent for a game at this level." How else would you describe a referee that crawls on his belly to check for a first down.

The head of officials told me that it would be noted and that as long as he was in charge, we would not have that crew assigned to one of our play-off games again. In hindsight I regret not complaining to the NSAA last year after the Davis crew performance of the previous year. But no one wants to be looked at as a "whiner."

Anthony Ridder is the best 8-man quarterback I have coached against. West Point CC is too good a team to give them a fresh set of downs when you have them stopped (i.e. pass interference and late hits). To make it through the play-off's, you have to get some breaks and a little luck. We could have used a little more of both.

Good luck West Point CC in the championship game.