Monday, June 21, 2010

My new Prius

I finally came to the conclusion that Carol and I needed to replace one of our cars. The 1999 Intrigue had 197550 miles and was occasionally losing power going down the highway. I searched the internet for small cars with good gas mileage and narrowed down to a couple options and then started looking at 0% financing options.

My daughter, Jessi, helped me with the Internet search and found a vehicle that she said was perfect for me. Since she thinks that I am cheap (because I drive vehicles until they fall apart), Jessi recommended the Toyota Prius with an estimated 50 miles per gallon.

I read about the Prius and it did have qualities that I liked. The hybrid engine has both a gas and an electric motor, and the battery charges as the car slows down or when brakes are applied, converting the momentum of the car into electrical energy. A great example of Physics in action.
Toyota convinced me that the sticky accelerator issue is no longer a problem. I contacted dealers through the internet and arrived at a price I felt was a great deal. I had to survive the sales ordeal in which they tried to sell me added warranties and optional equipment that I didn’t want, and they gave me $300 for the Intrigue. I walked out feeling pretty good.

And after four days of driving 330 miles and still having 1/3 of a tank of gas left, I am feeling even better. The car continuously calculates the mileage, and this morning I had gotten 50.2 miles per gallon. Of course I always drive with the economy mode button selected, instead of power mode, so I sacrifice acceleration for gas mileage. I not only save money, but I am doing my part to reduce reliance on foreign oil. Unfortunately, Toyota is a Japanese business, but they have manufacturing plants in the United States.