Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Dr. Cerny with Mwangaza Partnership for Education

I will be using my summer vacation time to travel to Tanzania, East Africa this summer to work at the Mwangaza Center in Arusha, Tanzania. My job will be to use science as a tool and framework for teaching how to construct an effective lesson plan that engages students. Since all high school instruction is (supposedly) in English, I will really be teaching ELL techniques more than anything. The methodology that most aligns with the Mwangaza plans is called SIOP (sheltered instruction). I will be paired with a Tanzanian Master teacher to teach one aspect of the SIOP model to the group of 30 or so participants. There should be 4 Tanzanian teachers and 4 Americans. My plane leaves Omaha June 18. For the few days before the seminar, I will be meeting and planning with the rest of the teacher mentors (Tanzanian) and volunteers (U.S.). The seminar runs from June 26-30. After a few days of travel, and a four day trek up Mount Meru, I will arrive back in Omaha July 7. I will be staying in the Mwangaza Guest House, a 1950s home with four bedrooms, 1 1/2 baths, a sizable living room and dining room, and a kitchen. It's got plenty of running water (though the water heater is tiny and requires rationing if multiple people plan to shower), a gas stove and oven, and fairly reliable electricity (though it tends to go dark right when you're planning on sitting down for a meal). I will be visiting with my dear friend, William Kivuyo, who stayed with my family for two months in 2001.